Food for Learning’s Feed the Meter campaign returns for its 12th holiday season to raise funds for Food for Learning!
FEED THE METER 2020 CAMPAIGN
DATE: December 1 – 31, 2020
LOCATION: Belleville, Trenton, Picton ON
A holiday tradition in Belleville, Trenton and Picton returns December 1 2020 – Feed the Meter! While staying safe and shopping local, Food for Learning encourages everyone who can do so, to please feed the meter this holiday season! The 12th annual Feed the Meter campaign in support of student nutrition programs in Hastings and Prince Edward counties is back. All funds collected in meters during the month of December 2020 will support Food for Learning’s school breakfast and snack programs in area schools.
NOW MORE THAN EVER, Food for Learning programs are needed in local schools.
Each school day, 4000 students across Hastings and Prince Edward counties are provided with healthy meals and snacks, including some students who are learning from home.
Because of COVID-19, student nutrition programs needed to be redesigned to ensure the safety of all students and staff.
The result, program costs are considerably higher due to:
- Maintaining safety and minimizing the risk of transmission of the virus, food offered to students is individually portioned and packaged, which has a significantly higher cost
- An increase in student participation
- Continuing support to students experiencing food insecurity while learning at home through virtual schools
We know that when students eat better, they are engaged in their learning, experience a sense of belonging at school and develop lifelong healthy eating habits. As they did before, many children and youth in our community continue to experience hunger during the pandemic. Food for Learning can help to alleviate this issue by providing food at school.
When describing the importance of the Food for Learning at their school, one student nutrition program coordinator shared, “I feel that both health and wellness of our student nutrition program contribute to a more positive school environment that supports student self-regulation physically, emotionally, and mentally, which leads to increased student performance, self-esteem, and social skills. It is a vital program to help improve and maintain our overall school climate.”
This holiday season, stay safe, shop local and please Feed the Meter when visiting downtown Belleville, Picton, or Trenton.
Donations to Feed the Meter can also be mailed to:
Food for Learning c/o The Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation
156 Ann Street
Belleville, ON K8N 3L3
(please make cheques payable to The Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation)
The Feed the Meter campaign is supported through the generous contributions from campaign sponsors Starboard Cares (Cool 100 & Hits 95.5 & InQuinte), Market High Advertising LTD., Greek Community of Belleville Quinte West and District, and The Grand at The Greek Banquet Hall
We also wish to recognize the GOLD sponsors of Feed the Meter 2020:
- Belleville: Kellogg’s, Fresh Co Belleville, Vision Transportation, Whitely Insurance, Wilkinson & Company LLP and McDougall Insurance & Financial
- Prince Edward County: Kellogg’s, Prinzen Ford and McDougall Insurance & Financial
- Quinte West: Kellogg’s, Findlay Food, Whitely Insurance, Tomasso’s Italian Grille, Wilkinson & Company LLP and McDougall Insurance & Financial